My friend had to go back to her hometown to work and I would go down the Mosel. (Yes, this is the region that gives its name to the wine.) I had decided to go straight to Cochem and perhaps take some river cruises from there.
After a leisurely breakfast we left for the station at 1030. My train was at 1130 so there was a lot of time. I bade my friend and her parents goodbye and I was off. It was drizzling all this time. About 1½ hours later I arrived at Cochem via Trier. The hostel was very easy to find and I left my backpack there while I went to explore the town.
The town lies the banks of the Mosel and the land rises steeply behind it. When I saw the pictures and maps of the region I was sure it would be picturesque and I was not disappointed. There was a cruise leaving for Belstein at 1330 but I wasn't sure if I wanted to take it, so I took lunch first. There were many tourist restaurants to choose from. And the usual coffee houses and souvenir shops. My friend's father had said that this was a popular town with the Dutch. Heh heh, maybe they like the novelty of seeing hills.
After lunch I decided to walk up the Reichsburg, the castle in the picture overlooking the town. From there I had a good vantage over the valley. The youth hostel is on the other bank of the river, near the further bridge.
And this is looking upriver. You can see some vineyards.
I declined to do the castle tour, though it seemed popular with tourists; this was the queue for the next session.
And this is the view from just outside the entrance.
I descended from the castle via another path (I dislike retracing my steps) and found myself back in the middle of the town.
It was time for a coffee break. I didn't finish pronouncing Schwartzwälder Kirschtorte before the waitress completed the name for me. Sure is a touristy town. But what I got wasn't that distinguished, despite the yummy cherries of the area; I'd had better Black Forest Cake in my home city.
Wandering down to the river bank I noticed a marker well above a person's height on a wall indicating the highest level of the December 1993 floods. Wow, that was some flood, these buildings would have been several metres under water.
As usual, a river attracts waterfowl.
By this time I was sure that I didn't want to take any cruises as the weather was off and on, the views would be about the same up and down the river, but maybe the towns might look a bit different.
I walked back across the bridge to the hostel and checked in. The dorm was very tidy and the ensuite bathroom was spacious. I was the first in the dorm, but a couple of German backpackers arrived later. Later they invited me to join them in drinks in town or similar. I was somewhat tired because of the gloomy weather and declined their kind offer. Maybe I should have been more sociable.
I decided to take dinner in the hostel to avoid having to walk into town again. So I found myself allocated a place in the dining room with a lot of noisy youngsters. They were well-mannered though. There seemed to be two groups in the hostel, a Berlitz English camp and an excursion group. The food was bland but nourishing enough. And that was my day in Cochem.
The town lies the banks of the Mosel and the land rises steeply behind it. When I saw the pictures and maps of the region I was sure it would be picturesque and I was not disappointed. There was a cruise leaving for Belstein at 1330 but I wasn't sure if I wanted to take it, so I took lunch first. There were many tourist restaurants to choose from. And the usual coffee houses and souvenir shops. My friend's father had said that this was a popular town with the Dutch. Heh heh, maybe they like the novelty of seeing hills.
By this time I was sure that I didn't want to take any cruises as the weather was off and on, the views would be about the same up and down the river, but maybe the towns might look a bit different.
I decided to take dinner in the hostel to avoid having to walk into town again. So I found myself allocated a place in the dining room with a lot of noisy youngsters. They were well-mannered though. There seemed to be two groups in the hostel, a Berlitz English camp and an excursion group. The food was bland but nourishing enough. And that was my day in Cochem.










No comments:
Post a Comment