Got up early and had cereal for breakfast in the kitchen. Gave Neeza some milk and some strokes. I wondered if she was that fat because she was housebound.
I was supposed to catch the train to Merzig where a friend was staying with her parents. I walked to the station and called from a public phone but the line was engaged. I tried several times over a half-hour with no luck. So I went back to the hostel and checked out of the room. I left my bag at the office, and checked my email. Nothing. By this time it was raining moderately and my raincoat was all wet. I went back to the station and tried calling again. Still engaged. I returned to the hostel, wrote an email saying that I couldn't get through and that I hoped to catch up with her some other year. I then had an early lunch of leftovers from the night before and left the hostel. Just before giving up and buying a train ticket down the Mosel, I tried calling again. I got through that time. It seemed the handset was accidentally off the cradle.
By the way, none of this was helped by the fact that DB (German Railways) was suffering a strike at the time, although most trains on my line were not affected, as yet.
I was picked up at Merzig station and taken to her parents' home where they had assigned me the upstairs bedroom. I came down for afternoon tea, well, I had tea and everybody else had coffee, and I had an interesting discussion with her father about world politics.
Later that evening we went out for dinner. Her father was upset by the slow service. He obsessed over it all the way home and being a gentleman, felt obliged to apologise to me on behalf of the restaurant when we got home. It hadn't bothered me in the least. We had a late coffee with a bit of wine and more conversation, and that was the end of the day. It had rained pretty much all day.
I only took one picture all day and this was it, the departures board at Trier station. It proves that there is a place called Perl, in Saarland, Germany (third line from bottom). Computer programmers will understand this, the rest of you can ignore this silly piece of trivia. I wonder if the inhabitants of that town are annoyed that it's hard to find their town in web searches.
I was supposed to catch the train to Merzig where a friend was staying with her parents. I walked to the station and called from a public phone but the line was engaged. I tried several times over a half-hour with no luck. So I went back to the hostel and checked out of the room. I left my bag at the office, and checked my email. Nothing. By this time it was raining moderately and my raincoat was all wet. I went back to the station and tried calling again. Still engaged. I returned to the hostel, wrote an email saying that I couldn't get through and that I hoped to catch up with her some other year. I then had an early lunch of leftovers from the night before and left the hostel. Just before giving up and buying a train ticket down the Mosel, I tried calling again. I got through that time. It seemed the handset was accidentally off the cradle.
By the way, none of this was helped by the fact that DB (German Railways) was suffering a strike at the time, although most trains on my line were not affected, as yet.
I was picked up at Merzig station and taken to her parents' home where they had assigned me the upstairs bedroom. I came down for afternoon tea, well, I had tea and everybody else had coffee, and I had an interesting discussion with her father about world politics.
Later that evening we went out for dinner. Her father was upset by the slow service. He obsessed over it all the way home and being a gentleman, felt obliged to apologise to me on behalf of the restaurant when we got home. It hadn't bothered me in the least. We had a late coffee with a bit of wine and more conversation, and that was the end of the day. It had rained pretty much all day.

No comments:
Post a Comment