Fiesa
I took the coastal walk northwards from Piran. From Tartini square I walked up to the city walls but took a wrong turn and found myself back at the square. On the second try I found the breach in the walls to access the path to Fiesa.
About an hour's walk found me far enough to look back on the Piran promontory. Then I walked across to Bella Croce (those Italian names again) which is a crossroads with a small mixed business shop, but also has the large cross of its name.
On the way I encountered a council sign prohibiting dumping, and at the foot of the sign, defiantly, bags of rubbish. How Italian!
I walked down the hill to Maestral, which is a residence, but also a tourist info stop for drivers approaching Portorož. Here I cooled my heels. This had good views of Piran bay, including the Bernadin complex. So you can see from the picture where I had been spending my evenings.
Then a walk down Stara Cesta (Vecchia Strada) and I was back in Portorož. The Mercator with the cafeteria was only open till noon, so there was no lunch offered, only refreshments. I guzzled 500 ml of Union beer while pondering what to do next. At a nearby rest stop I ate some more potica and fed some to the pigeons. It wasn't impressive, but that's probably because it was mass produced stuff sold in supermarkets. The pigeons weren't very bright. Perhaps in this holiday town they didn't have to be. I didn't want a cooked lunch so I found a fish cafe serving octopus salad which was quite satisfactory.
That evening, yes you guessed it, I went to the Bernadin complex again, and surprise surprise, the band was playing the same numbers. Near the water is a navigation beacon for the point. Here the breezes were cool for a change. I took that as a portent that a refreshing change would come the next day, when I would leave. This is my third last photo in Slovenia.
The band stopped around 2300 and shortly after, most of the lights in the rooms in the block facing the entertainment area snapped off. So those visitors' evenings were also running to a schedule, like mine had been.
No comments:
Post a Comment