Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Dimensions of travel

I was listening in bed to Latin jazz and this made me recall the trip I made to Cuba three years ago. A trip can have several dimensions which are usually the reasons you chose to go there. In Cuba I followed the scenic and musical trail. There isn't a cuisine trail worth mentioning in Cuba.


In Italy I am just observing the Italians in their daily life and also trying the regional cuisines. I have no set plans to visit any museums, galleries or ruins, a stance which may horrify culture mavens. Any architecture I admire will be incidental. The towns I am spending the most time in are not normally on the tourist trail. Of those that are famous, such Roma, Firenze or Venezia, I will just be passing through.


I think it's just that I feel like doing something different these days. When I first visited Europe, I religiously visited all the major museums and galleries. Such was my innocence in those days, that after having seen many German paintings captioned Familie des Künstlers I remarked to myself, my what a famous family the Künstlers must have been. Fortunately I discovered what Künstler meant before I blurted out my admiration for this family to someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment