Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Šibenik

Before boarding the bus I picked up some provisions, including ½ kg of dried figs which must have come from a private orchard and were quite good. The bus was standing room only, and as there were older people on the bus, I was one of those standing. I wondered if it would be like this all the way to Zadar, the ultimate destination of this service. Fortunately after Trogir, a historic city about 30 km west of Split, most of the people had alighted and seats became free. Probably day trippers.

At Šibenik bus station there were no old ladies offering sobe (rooms). In many places you can expect to be offered accommodation when you get off a bus. It looked like Šibenik was not high on tourist priorities. So I located the tourist office and asked for help. They consulted their listings, made a call and a man came over to accompany me back to the home. The room was clean as a whistle and so cool that I thought it was air-conditioned. The hausfrau seemed a bit grumpy though.

In the evening I went to look at Šibenik's glory, its world heritage listed cathedral. It's so imposing that it's impossible to do it justice with one photo.

This children's group was performing in the old city. I didn't understand a word of the singing, but it sounded sweet.

There is a waterfront and a fair selection of restaurants facing it. The weather was cool and the locals were having a good time. It was all very gentle.

No comments:

Post a Comment