Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Lumbarda

I was insomniac during the night so I read off and on. When dawn came, I leant out of the window and took this picture of the delicate shades of the sky.

Breakfast was very ample. Besides the usual bread and jams there were cold meats, cheese and yoghurt. I am going to take it easy today after all that driving around the island yesterday. A dolce far niente day.

Above the village there are vineyards and an old church. The path led down to the water again near the Feral restaurant and boats in the marina. I heard English being spoken by some crew. I suspect that the holiday apartments on the opposite side of the bay are occupied by tourists in season.

From here one can see the stark mountains of the mainland.

The water is very clear, I can see the fishes and plants in it.

The colour of the water is the shimmering pale aqua characteristic of this region. This shot is looking back towards the mainland. In the distance, hidden around the corner, is Korčula Town.

I sat near the water, reading. When that got too warm, I adjourned to the patio of the Pansion, and when that got too warm, I went up to my room to siesta. I had thought that a room just under the roof would be too warm, but there is a constant flow of air through the open windows that keeps the heat down.

Croatian table service is attentive but not servile. Dalmatia has been receiving tourists for a long time. The industry is recovering from the hiatus due to the war. I get the feeling that Croatians would rather earn their living from some other way than tourism, but this is the best for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment