Sunday, June 10, 2007

Why didn't I take more pictures?

When I select pictures for this blog, I often think, I should have taken a picture of that, but I didn't. Or, how come I have so few pictures of that area? As I once wrote, nobody comes back from holiday complaining that they should have taken less pictures. So why didn't I take more?


I think there are at least a couple of reasons. When I am travelling, I am in the moment. Taking a photo means taking attention away from enjoying the present. If time is leisurely, the diversion is ok. If events are happening fast, well too bad, less or no pictures then.


The other reason is because I come from the old school of film photography where every shot mattered. I learnt that shots were to be well-composed and not wasted. So I often don't take a picture when the composition doesn't feel right. But digital photos cost next to nothing. It's amazing, one memory card holds a thousand or more photos and costs me no more than one roll of slide film in the bad old days. So I need to relax my parsimony. I think people with cameras in their phones and digital assistants have the right attitude. Just take the shot if in doubt. Then take a few more.

No comments:

Post a Comment