Piran's old narrow streets may be charming to tourists, but I wouldn't want to live there. They are sanitary nightmares with dog and pigeon doo. I'm prefer wider and cleaner public spaces.
It's been light since about 0500. Better get to the Former Viva park just past Lucija before the day starts to sizzle. This is a park, opened in 1961, hosting over a hundred open-air stone sculptures. As the guide predicted, only the odd few sculptures were of interest but there was a good view to Sečovlje's salt pans. Somewhere in the hazy distance is Croatia. Only interesting if you don't know how a salt pan operates. I could see why the tourist agency advised me against the tour.
Back in Lucija, I popped into the supermarket to cool down and grab some supplies. Checkout queues were long; must be due to all the holidaymakers visiting. I checked my email at the public terminal, then went back without lunch, on account of the warm weather, to nap. I reread my books and repacked my bags, throwing out old receipts and paperwork. I wondered why Croatian and Slovenian businesses liked giving huge A4 size receipts, often computer printed, for a lot of transactions. Maybe it was their tax laws.
That evening, I had a squiz at the aquarium to see if it was worth visiting, but it looked sad and poorly maintained. Then I went to the Bernadin complex by bus and foot again. The band played the same numbers again. The bees were feeding on the lavender in the flower beds.
If you get the feeling that I am struggling to find things to write about, you're not wrong. I had not intended to stay 5 days in Piran and surrounds; I was becalmed there because of the long holiday weekend. So I was eking out my time across the attractions in the area.
Back in Lucija, I popped into the supermarket to cool down and grab some supplies. Checkout queues were long; must be due to all the holidaymakers visiting. I checked my email at the public terminal, then went back without lunch, on account of the warm weather, to nap. I reread my books and repacked my bags, throwing out old receipts and paperwork. I wondered why Croatian and Slovenian businesses liked giving huge A4 size receipts, often computer printed, for a lot of transactions. Maybe it was their tax laws.
If you get the feeling that I am struggling to find things to write about, you're not wrong. I had not intended to stay 5 days in Piran and surrounds; I was becalmed there because of the long holiday weekend. So I was eking out my time across the attractions in the area.


No comments:
Post a Comment